131 Method Review: Who Can Benefit From This "Anti-Diet"?
Dec 24, 2018
There are so many diets out there, and it's hard to know which is the right one that will work for you as an individual or family. As the mother and chef at our house, I found that finding a diet or meal plan that was compatible for everyone in our household was almost impossible. Let me explain... in our house we have two vegetarians, one diabetic, and one who does not tolerate lactose. So many plans require things that at least one person in the family shouldn't or wouldn't eat.
Because the 131Method is marketed as the "study of one", I was even more concerned that this may work for one of us, but not necessarily all of us. I decided to give it a try anyway. Here's what I found:
- This method is extremely individualized and science based and will look different for anyone following it. From the very first week, this plan teaches how to modify, and pick and choose which parts of it are right for you as an individual, and you as a family based on your preferences as well as your medical history.
- There are no required meal plans. While there are oodles of recipes, there is no one food that has to be eaten. It's perfectly acceptable to use your own recipes and you can do the entire plan totally based on the foods you enjoy.
- In the first few weeks, the program teaches how to identify foods (yes, even healthy foods!) that cause a negative reaction to each individual. This doesn't necessarily mean that those foods need to be totally eliminated, but it gives a clear message to which foods will prevent you from reaching your goals quickly, as well as which foods cause reactions such as headache and lethargy.
- This plan works perfectly for people with special diets such as vegetarian, vegan, diabetic, and there are special articles and videos within the site that relate to most special needs.
- The method has replacements for almost anything that should be avoided, such as sugary treats, and therefore, it is something my family could adhere to. It was especially nice for our diabetic family member who could now eat what felt like sugar but didn't give the effects of sugar. As a matter of fact, he's eating "happier" now than he's been able to eat in years, and was able to get off of his medication!
- As a 50 year old woman, I also found that this was the first nutrition plan that addressed hormones and how to work with them while also manipulating them to maintain weight rather than to pack it on.
- Last and maybe most importantly, I found that even people who aren't looking for weight loss can greatly benefit from this method. Eating this way has so many benefits besides weight loss, such as extra energy, less brain fog, and overall improved health to name just a few.
UPDATE! It has been a little over a year since I started my personal journey with the 131Method. I was able to lose 22 pounds in my first 4 weeks, and a total of 52 pounds through the following 2 months to reach my goal weight. I have been able to keep the weight off ever since, and more importantly, I feel better, and even younger than I can remember in a very long time. I love it so much, that I have become an Ambassador for the program, and sharing it has become my passion! It's so exciting for me to see the transformation in so many people!
If you have additional questions or would like to be "coached" through this program, post in the comments, or feel free to contact me. I would love to help you through it! Sign up using my personal link, or message me on how to begin!